Tuesday, January 18, 2011

You're just what I needed...

We had a wonderful 3 day weekend this past weekend.  It was just what I needed after making the realization that I was/am burnt out.  I've made some big shifts and so far life is much better.  Today felt like I was even closer to being back on track with my classes than I have yet this semester.  The main ingredient to success (especially in a high school classroom): enthusiasm.
Since I've started putting myself first, I have more enthusiasm and energy to use in the classroom. It's been a welcome shift.  I've moved away from using my lazer pointer to moving around the room.  I think this increases my students' learning two fold.  They watch me as I move, so I know who's paying attention; and I slow down, so they have time to process.  Things are coming together.  I just need to become more focused on teaching to the eyes.
On another note, I'm hoping that this class I'm taking currently will pay off.  I'm using the ADDIE instructional design template to design a "unit" (I guess?) around teaching my third years affirmative and negative commands through reading and storytelling.  I'm hoping it'll be useful.  If not, I've already made a few connections with my instructional coach at school which reaped a lot of benefits with interesting graphic organizers (which I can use in third year as reading checks/evaluations) and valuable discussions with her about the intended use of common assessments in our PLC work.
This week will go by quickly, but I feel like once I hit my stride with my first extended reading in each class, that's when I start to get comfortable again.  I wonder why?  Is it because I've gone through all the "steps" or is it because when we do the readings I feel like I have more of a crutch?  Either way, I feel like my strength is incorporating reading.  Which works out wonderfully since that's how we acquire language! :)  What is your strength?  How is this semester panning out for you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment