Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bouncing back

Today during first period something amazing happened.  I tried teaching commands through the hokey pokey.  I was too scared to attempt this last year as it didn't fit my personality that I had built up between myself and my students.  I remembered that if I am enthusiastic and don't care about looking stupid, neither do the kids (as much).  So as we started the song I got the goofy "I'm so excited" look on my face, clapped and rubbed my hands together... and the fun started.  We sang and danced, had a great time, and most importantly, we learned a few commands quickly and painlessly. 

Throughout the day I did the song two more times.  My fifth period was the best, I suspect because I had taken a risk.  I had stepped outside the box.  My kids appreciated doing something goofy and different (because I'm not that creative and amazing yet with the CI/TPRS skills as I'd like to be). 

Sixth period finally felt like sixth period.  No, my sixth period ROCKS.  They are a great class. The reason it finally felt like sixth period is because things started to click today.  I think I started going slow enough, pausing, personalizing and translating enough.  During my sixth period today, I think my class exhaled because they finally had their teacher back, and I relaxed because I was finally back.  I haven't felt much like myself since the beginning of this semester, but boy... It is GOOD to be back. :)  I'm even kinda bummed that tomorrow is a test day!

No comments:

Post a Comment