Tuesday, January 11, 2011

No one will take better care of you, than yourself.

Today is day two of my journey to understand perfectionism in order to not allow it to control my life.  Last night, I read a couple of articles, courtesy of my fiance, (here and here) on burnout.  I was pretty sure before reading that I was burnt out.  After reading the articles, I was absolutely sure and disappointed that some how I had gotten to that point.

A couple of messages rang loud and clear, but the most prominent was the fact that if you don't take care of yourself, no one will.  I'm still unsure if it the expectations I try to achieve are actually put on me by superiors or if they are imagined by myself.  Either way, I understand how important it is now to make myself a HUGE priority. 

Another message that rang clear was that people who are on their way to burnout minimalize their friend circle.  They often cut themselves off from the world.  That is exactly what I had done during the first semester.  It's easy to say "Not right now", but the fact is that we need friends and family as a support system.  We cannot do it on our own. 

After realizing these things last night, after my too long of a blog post :), I resolved to make this my mission for 2011.  I need to get my life balanced, and maintain that balance.  So I only did a 1/2 hour of work, then I knitted, drank some sleepytime tea and relaxed.  And guess what, today I was a MUCH BETTER teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment