Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hitting a wall...

All of this pertains to my sixth period class, which is why I'm perplexed.  None of my other classes are having this problem.  Since we've gotten back from winter break, the dynamic in my 6th period class has changed a lot.  Before it was a class I looked forward to every day, now I know it will be a challenge.  The students have changed a bit, and I'm not sure why this is happening.

Stories that I use in another class go very well and have good classroom participation (for February...).  I understand that stories may not go well in two different classes, but it's a struggle because I feel like my sixth period hasn't had a truly engaging class since we've returned from break! 

I'm really trying to focus on point and pause right now, because when I feel like things aren't going well, I tend to speed up in hopes of stumbling on something interesting.  When I point and pause, I feel like I get more student engagement, but that the students are still lacking engagement. 

I guess the lack of engagement is due to personalization.  I really try to get my students involved in the story.  I try to have actors, but they never really act.  They stand in the front of the room and distract. I try and use their interests, but it doesn't work.

I feel like there's this negative attitude in my classroom.  It started with one boy, then spread to another, now to a girl that sits between them.   They don't say anything, but I can read their body language. 

Any suggestions?  Is it me or is it the time of year?

No comments:

Post a Comment