Monday, February 14, 2011

Getting over January...

This semester started out rough to say the least.  I'm not sure what happened, but it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I started the semester a bit differently than those previously, so maybe that is why.  I don't know if I'll start it out that way again.  Anyway, I'm finally starting to feel the groove again.  Which is a relief. 

Today I came out of a daze and started taking control again.  The beginning of the semester seemed like someone else was teaching my classes for me and I was just in my body watching it happen, which is no way to teach with TPRS/CI.  I have been sick to say the least, BUT I slept for about 36 hours over this weekend and am finally feeling like myself again.  WHEW!

This week is a tough week because 1) today is Valentine's day (so we talked about el día de la amistad so that no one felt left out!), 2) Wednesday is a late start because of PLC work, and 3) we have Friday off... among all of these I have a year 2 mentor meeting after school this week AND my post-observation conference with my AP.  Thus, it's a really good thing to be back (mentally). 

This stretch of being out of it has really made me aware of how important it is to always be on top of what is going on in the classes.  I realized last week that I need to stop during my extended readings to tell students to put pencils down because the pencils had crept into their hands over the past semester and I was getting a lot less eye contact.  Once I did that, things started to really shape up.  This week's challenge - PERSONALIZATION.  I've gotta get that personal touch back.  Here's to working hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment