Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The TCI Train Isn't Slowing Down.

Today was my first day back at school with all my teacher colleagues.  I was really excited to see everyone again, but I was surprised with the curiosity and eagerness to learn more about TPRS/CI from a few of my colleagues.
I should back up and say that I ruffled some feathers last year doing my own thing with TPRS/CI.  It was not a pleasant experience, but I have come to believe that change doesn't happen without discomfort.  I was inspired by Michele Whaley at NTPRS this year for her session on the Alaskan TPRS Miracle.   I'm not hoping for anything like a miracle or as large-scaled as what she accomplished; but I do hope to be the change I wish to see in the world language classroom, and by doing that, I hope to inspire others to get uncomfortable with me and try TPRS/CI. 
This morning the TCI Train pulled into my school and a few of my colleagues really took notice.  After arriving at work this morning a couple colleagues shared with me the exciting news (well, exciting to me anyways...) that a colleague that left our school for Denver Public was going to be using TPRS/CI as well.  This woman was inspired by the power of the method, and she was able to share that inspiration with a couple of my colleagues without fear of backlash, which was great.  After we talked a little about what our former-colleague said, it was suggested that I do a little presentation on TPRS/CI for the department in order to educate them on the method and maybe share with them some TPRS/CI activities that they can use.  Obviously I was excited.  Nothing is set in stone, but it feels good to come back to positive attitudes and open minds.  One teacher is even entertaining the idea of TPRS/CI this year!
I cannot wait to see what the rest of this year has in store for me!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! Let me know what you are thinking of doing for your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic!!!!!!!! Let us know how it goes!!

    with love,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete