Friday, August 5, 2011

Processing NTPRS for Success in a New Year

The title makes it sound relatively easy, but as I try to re-read my notes I feel daunted.  I am extremely excited to go into my second year of TPRS and third year of teaching, but I need to focus myself in order to improve my skills for my students.  I feel daunted now because of the copious amounts of knowledge that was shared with me at NTPRS.  It was an invaluable experience because now I know that I am no longer alone.  Last year I clung on to the internet (Laurie's blog, Ben's blog, moreTPRS listserv, etc) in order to feel not alone, but there's something new this year with actually meeting people who are doing this.  I am forever grateful for the TPRS army (credit to mme. Hayles).

My take-aways from NTPRS:
  1. SLOW - Thank you Linda Li & Bryce Hedstrom (& Ben Slavic for his recent post on research regarding this)
  2. The brain craves novelty - Thank you Carol Gaab & Kristy Placido
    1.  Jibjab
    2. Stories worth retelling (credit to Bryce Hedstrom)
    3. Use news stories and culture stories
    4. Use props like my dog uses toys.  Circulate them as the kids loose interest.  Not every story has to have a bunch of props.
  3. You don't have to be creative on your feet immediately, write down each sentence of a story on note card with possibilities for each thing (10-15 note cards/story) - Thank you Michelle (not sure of the last name, but she was a French teacher and fantastic coach!)
  4. There are other people who are more isolated than me doing this - Thanks roomie Kristin Duncan
  5. Organize and Manage the Board - Thank you Carol Gaab & Susan Gross
    1. TL and L1 in different colors
    2. Don't over-fill the board - have the structures up there and then enrichment vocabulary, not everything needs to be written down
  6. Give sts jobs in order to personalize the class - 
    1. See Ben Slavic's post (members only)
  7. Contrast Grammar in order to fulfill the curriculum - Thank you Susan Gross & Betsy Paskvan! (This was my big break-through in the coaching room too)
My professional goals for August:

  1. Check-in with colleagues to see how they are doing (esp. Charlotte, Vicki, Carrie and Laura)
  2. Focus on SLOW and personalized input (TPR and Circle with balls)
  3. Use Scott Benedict’s textbook to TPRS to help align myself with the curriculum/vocab again and to model to my colleagues that it can be done without abandoning the safety of a textbook.  Focus on having characters DO what the student objectives are for each chapter.
  4. Begin using standards-based grading with my sts.
  5. Video one class and submit it to Ben.
Lastly, I made slides to print out to help me accomplish my goals in my classroom.  I made them available here.  They're similar to the ones at NTPRS in the coaching rooms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment