Friday, October 29, 2010

Characters Development and "Real" TPRS

Earlier today I read an interesting post by Ben Slavic earlier this morning that made me really analyze how I'm doing this year with my professional development of TPRS.  I know that my TPRS is nowhere near perfect and likely it won't be for a very long time.  I do know that I'm doing the best that I can with the support that I have.  I know that "Bad TPRS is better than no TPRS." But I don't want to practice "bad" TPRS. 
At the beginning of the year I did it.  I made the "switch".  I'm happy with that decision.  I am passionate about students, Spanish, and this method.  It's a powerful mix.  Thus I bought a couple of books on TPRS to help my development.  The problem has been, however, that I'm also going to graduate school full time; so I've had little time to reflect or put as much effort into developing my skills. 
I do know that my students are progressing.  Just yesterday they surprised me and powerfully translated "¿QuĂ© te gusta hacer?" for me when my students last year couldn't remember that question for the life of them while it was a "vocab term" let alone months later as my students this year did.  I know that what they are learning is long term.  Thank goodness.
So today I had a break through (for me). I've been struggling with creating interesting details and parallel characters.  My students loose interest.  Today I realized two important things: I need to refocus on PERSONALIZATION and GOING SLOW.  We also successfully added a detail to a written story, which we haven't done before.  We added that Alicia is in fact 103 years old.  It's not as exciting for others.  But it's a step for me.  We also had a good PQA in my 6th period Spanish 1 class.  We saw spirits/ghosts in our classroom today.  And we wanted them there! :) We also learned that myself and one other boy are the only ones scared of ghosts.  It was a great class.  Why can't all classes be like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment