Monday, October 25, 2010

5 minutes a day...

All the stress and responsibilities I've been juggling the past 10 weeks finally hit me like a wall about a week and a half ago.  I got sick, Gus was out of town, and it was a long weekend.  That proved to be a hard hurdle to move on from.  I'm still trying to move on after getting bogged down.
This weekend, I still was feeling overwhelmed by everything that I have to do.  It was a difficult weekend.  Gus and I sat down and talked about it, and he suggested finding five minutes a day to reflect on what I did, and what went well each day.  When I thought about it, that sounded like a simple way to remind myself that I am doing good each day.  I also realized that it would be a way to reflect on here in an albeit short way.

So... my five minutes today:

Let's start with my biggest accomplishment - yesterday, I ran my first 5K race and finished 2 minutes quicker than my "goal" time.  I'm still so satisfied about that.
But today, things were rough to get started, but things started to click once first period started.  My third year story really developed with student input in 1st and 2nd hour.  In all of my third year classes, my students were really focused and on task.  It was true learning to be experienced.  I really feel like they're going to kick this "subjunctive" in the behind.
I presented my new warm-up/notes sheet page to my first years today, we worked with some descriptions and vocab and started a new story.  We'll see how well they did tomorrow.
There.  My third years really impressed me today.  They were my saving grace.  Now to tackle this HUGE first homework assignment for grad school... no exactly looking forward to this, but here's to becoming a master teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment