Saturday, August 14, 2010

1000 dollars for cinnamon rolls

At one of our staff meetings this week, we were told that because of budget cuts, our cinnamon rolls for the 10 mornings we have PLC meetings will be cut.  One teacher, whom was not named, cut a check for $1000 after the meeting to be used for the rolls.

You know that you work in a special school when someone is generous enough to do this.  I am sincerely thankful for the donation.  The rolls are a great way to promote excitement in the morning (perhaps the sugar has something to do with it...) and to keep us going all through the day.

However, I have some moral problems with this.  The biggest problem I have is the fact that there are tons of other needs that we have for instruction that we cannot have because of budget cuts.   Other problems include the fact that other schools in low-income areas need basic supplies that families of students cannot provide and $1000 would go a long way for them.  When I try to justify it myself, I think that in only my second year, maybe I still don't value small rewards for myself as much as I should.  Maybe there is much more value in treating myself every once in awhile, so that I may be a calm, collected, creative, impacting teacher.

Regardless of my moral problems, this donation speaks volumes of the school I teach at.  I feel thankful every day that I am able to work among such a generous, caring, and understanding community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment